Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Pictures ARE Worth A Thousand Words (Or At Least 210 Words!)




I seriously wish I had had Vocabulary Cartoons as a kid. I am such a visual person that mnemonics have always been something I relied on to help me through daily life. I learned early that by making up a silly rhyme or using one already thought up would help me remember something for a test. 


Or someone's name. 


Or how to make my kids' favorite breakfast. 


Oh yes, now the truth comes out about the way I memorize recipes. Well, anyway. That's another post.


The tag line, "Kids Learn a Word a Minute and Never Forget It" is true in our house. Designed for elementary aged kids, my second-ish graders loved the book! There are 210 cute cartoons that create a visual, giving the student an edge in remembering what the word means. Definitions and pronunciation guides are also listed with a separate page dedicated to each single word.


  



I am a big fan of online samples. Many a time, samples are the deal maker for me purchasing a curriculum helper for our homeschool since it gives me a chance to see if something is really a good fit for us. Vocabulary Cartoon's fourteen (!!) pages of samples are straight from the book! One of my favorites is actually the first one in the book and the first one we learned. 


Farm Boy, my youngest, loved Vocabulary Cartoons so much and will still laugh about "abducting a duck!"


This book is great for independent learners who need some extra work to do or for students who struggle in vocabulary. And for public schoolteachers, there are blackline masters, PDF formatted discs, and overhead transparencies, in addition to the books. 


Still not convinced? Here is a word list in its entirety!


In short, we loved this book and cannot wait until we are ready for the SAT Prep volumes!  


The Details

Vocabulary Cartoons from New Monic Books (Love it - even the company name is a play on words!) 
$12.95 each
Age: 3rd-6th grade
------

I received Vocabulary Cartoons from New Monic Books for the purpose of review. No other compensation was received and these opinions are my own.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...