Then enters the cook in me.
I like waffles and enjoyed eating them with my family, but not to the extent that my boys did. Maybe it was because I grew up on Buttermilk Eggos and these just weren't them (not that I would eat them now since we don't eat processed foods with artificial flavors, colors and preservatives in them.) So began my hunt for the perfect waffle recipe. After a full year of hunting and experimenting, I finally came up with one we all LOVE!!! And it is better than Eggo® in my opinion! Serve up these babies with some pure maple syrup or my recipe for a simple frugal version and you are in business!!!
PS For those of you wishing you had a waffle iron so you could try them out, try Craigslist, Freecycle, yard sales and thrift stores. People sell them cheap!! I had stuff taking up room in my kitchen, but a waffle iron is just one of those appliances I will always make room for (at least as long as we carry out the Saturday morning waffle tradition!)
Dawn's Very Best Buttermilk Waffles
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Separate the eggs, add the yolks to the dry and placing the whites in a small mixing bowl.
- Beat egg whites until moderately stiff, set aside. (This makes very fluffy waffles! Do not skip this step!)
- Add milk and oil to mixed dry ingredients and blend.
- Pour stiff egg whites into mixture and fold gently.
- Ladle mixture into hot waffle iron as directed by your model and bake.