Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Start of Summer Boy Brunch


 
Several years ago the Mother's Day Out program Farm Boy was attending held a tea party for the moms around Mother's Day. Music Man was in school at the time and of course did not attend. That got him to thinking though and he really wanted to have a tea party. Well, we couldn't have a TEA PARTY since I had BOYS. So I had to come up with something else.


School was nearing the end and after hearing them talk and talk about tea parties for a few weeks, I came up with an End-of-School Boy Brunch. We had it on the Saturday after school was out.


The first year we had monkey bread and milk. I served them on glass plates with fancy (dollar store) stemware with a straw. There were fancy napkins and candles - nothing matched but they didn't care! It was a celebration. And summer began.

The next year we were still settling into our new life in Georgia and though we had it, I didn't take pictures. Our third annual Boy Brunch was held after Sports Camp last year and I again forgot to take pictures. I remember we ate cake though. I had just completed a cake decorating class at Micheal's.

We realized last year that it could no longer be and End-of-School Boy Brunch since now we homeschool and school year round. We aren't as formal in the summer, and usually most of take June off. But we work on math three days a week and read everyday throughout the summer.

This year's Boy Brunch was held June 1, 2011. We had doughnuts this year since I forgot to put the cinnamon rolls together before I went to bed. Insomnia does have its merits since I woke at 3:45AM and remembered I hadn't made the cinnamon rolls.

This is what happens when you are tired, double the amount of butter for a recipe and end up having to double the whole recipe in order to not throw out a whole stick of butter.
This is what happens when you are laughing so hard you have to take a picture for your blog, run to your computer to load the pics and don't remove the overflowing dough when you first see it.


And these are the happy boys enjoying the slightly yeast-y doughnuts for our4th Annual Start of Summer Boy Brunch.
Do you do something special for the end of school or the start of summer? How do you celebrate?

Oh and we have a winner! (You thought I forgot didn't you?)

Laura, please email me with your address and I will send your book out later today. Thanks again to Moe at Squeaky Gourmet for my first giveaway and to all who entered!  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...