Sunday, October 23, 2011

TOS Review: Apologia Educating the Whole Hearted Child


When I began homeschooling out of necessity, I had no idea what I was getting into. I knew I was fed up with public school not providing for my child and that I could certainly do better than the education we were told he would get in his local school district.

Little did I know how much our lives would change with homeschooling. It is a lifestyle, not just something we do for a few hours everyday to satisfy an education requirement. But I knew very little about the lifestyle when I started homeschooling. I focused on education and “catching him up” - laying a foundation that was not there. Had I known about Educating the WholeHearted Child when we began this journey, I think the first year or two of homeschooling may have looked a little different. (And perhaps it would have been quite a bit less stressful!)

In the beginning, I tried to make sure my child was "socialized" and had plenty of extra-curricular activities to do outside out our scheduled school time. And over the past two years, I something began to tug at my heart. My desire was to have my children home more (we were homeschooling, weren't we?) It was a difficult transition since I tried to get them so involved in things when we first started. However, I felt it was what my heart needed and what their hearts needed.

I realized that there was so much more that I wanted my children to have than just a good education. I wanted to be the primary influence in my children's lives and by homeschooling I could accomplish that. But sending them out to be “socialized” seemed futile. And what I they needed more of was me.

Educating the WholeHearted Child was first published in 1994. This is the third edition and from what I understand, it has been completely revised and expanded. It deals with the whole heart of the child and those things that matter to the upbringing and nurturing of children. 

Divided into four sections (and 18 chapters,) each aspect gently guides parents on how to be the influence that we should be for our children. 

And then there are tons and tons of resources at the end of the book - lists, lists, and more lists. And if you know me personally, you know I love lists!!  

What to Teach When
This book is not so much curriculum as it is a guidebook for the homeschool family - a lifebook if you will.

What's It Gonna Cost Me?
$22.00
This may seem like a lot for a book about homeschooling. But trust me, it is so much more. It is a lifebook.

Other Products 
Apologia has a wealth of products available for the homeschooling family. Our science curriculum for this year is also from Apologia.  

Check It Out
There is a sample chapter online as well as the table of contents.

Final Word
This is THE book to purchase if you can only choose one to buy when you start. As a somewhat veteran homeschooler, it is vital to the home library as well. This is what I want my home to look like. If you are a Christian you should be doing these things in your home, even if you aren't officially homeschooling.

Teaching [is] a part of parenting. 


Legal Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Crew, I received a copy of Educating the WholeHearted Child free of charge from Apologia for the purpose of review. No other compensation was received.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...