Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Five Things NOT to Say to a Grieving Mother on Mother's Day (or Any Other Day of the Year!)


Mother's Day is a special day to celebrate mothers. But not all mothers have their children with them. Here is a just a few things NOT to say to a grieving mother on Mother's Day.

  1. "You should celebrate the kids you have, not dwell on the one(s) you don't." (I do celebrate my living children everyday. And I miss the one not with me everyday too.)
  2. "You need to just be happy you are a mother." (I am happy I am a mother and grateful for my other children. But I am also a mother without one of her children.)
  3. "It's been ten years, are you really still upset about that?" (Yeah, actually, I am. And I will miss him for the rest of my life.)
  4. "You can always have another baby." (I can't have that one though! And for some, mothers that baby may have been their only chance to have one.)
  5. "I know how you feel." (No, you really don't. Even if you have lost a child, every person's loss is different. And each child is different. You love all your children the same, right?)
Tomorrow we will look at what you CAN do to help a grieving mother on Mother's Day. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...