Mother's Day is a special day to celebrate mothers. But not all mothers have their children with them. Here is a just a few things NOT to say to a grieving mother on Mother's Day.
- "You should celebrate the kids you have, not dwell on the one(s) you don't." (I do celebrate my living children everyday. And I miss the one not with me everyday too.)
- "You need to just be happy you are a mother." (I am happy I am a mother and grateful for my other children. But I am also a mother without one of her children.)
- "It's been ten years, are you really still upset about that?" (Yeah, actually, I am. And I will miss him for the rest of my life.)
- "You can always have another baby." (I can't have that one though! And for some, mothers that baby may have been their only chance to have one.)
- "I know how you feel." (No, you really don't. Even if you have lost a child, every person's loss is different. And each child is different. You love all your children the same, right?)
Tomorrow we will look at what you CAN do to help a grieving mother on Mother's Day.