Friday, May 27, 2011

TOS Review: Apologia Read From the Heart

I began reading aloud chapter books to my boys last summer. Before then, we mostly read children's books. We began with the Little House series and they loved it! We continued with all the books in the series and had a designated time we read every day. We laughed and we cried and we lived those stories day in and day out. When we finished, I knew that my boys would need a transition time to let go of Pa, Ma, Laura and Mary. So we didn't start anything else for a while. I eventually became antsy for that reading time again and mentioned to my boys that we needed to start something else. We struggled through the first few chapters of several other books but couldn't get into a grove with it. The books I chose just weren't quite right. (I mean what could rightly follow Laura Ingalls?)

So we stopped reading aloud chapter books again. Then someone gave us a copy of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. We were hooked again. But it pained me that we missed out on several months of read-alouds before settling in again. I wished that I had some way to figuring out what to read next with my kids. I wished for some way that I could choose a book that would be appropriate (no scary pirates in it) or too grown-up.


Read for the Heart is a book to help you choose what to read. Written by Sarah Clarkson, this book about books gives a brief synopsis of each book it recommends. An appropriate age is also given as well as the copyright date and author's info. She has listed over 1000 books appropriate for family reading. Covering everything from fantasy and fairy tales to historical fiction and from poetry to picture books and everything in between, this book is the book to add to your homeschool library (or any family library!)

If you have kids, this book is the book to add to your home library.

Listed in the appendix are the Caldecott and Newbery winners and a list of the authors favorites. We are working our way down the Favorite Read-Alouds for the Whole Family this summer beginning with Little Men.



What's It Gonna Cost Me?
$17.00

Other Products 
Apologia is well known in the homeschool community for its elementary science curriculum Exploring Creation and secondary curriculums that include General and Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. They also offer an online program through their very own Apologia Academy.

Check It Out
Apologia has a sample chapter and the table of contents available on their website for download.

Final Word
Read From the Heart absolutely belongs in the library of any family who wants to instill the love of books and reading in their kids. We love that book and I know you will too!





Legal Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Crew, I received Read from the Heart free of charge from Apologia for the purpose of review. No other compensation was received.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...