Friday, February 10, 2012

RECIPE: Vanilla Sugar

 

 
Vanilla Sugar is something I always have in my kitchen. I don't use it every day, but when we do make a treat, Vanilla Sugar is something I most often use as my sweetener. (In our house, a treat is defined as an occasional yummy that we make occasionally, usually to celebrate a holiday or event. It may contain more processed ingredients than we eat on an everyday basis, in this case, Vanilla Sugar!) 
 
I began making Vanilla Sugar over five years now and my kids even ask for it in recipes. It just a little adds umph to whatever recipe you add it to. And I don't know about you, but I am always looking for a little umph.
 
First, let's talk ingredients. Quality ingredients make a quality recipe. And cheap ingredients just don't belong in anyone's kitchen. ("Frugal" does not equal "cheap." My kitchen is very frugal, but I don't use cheap stuff. And that, my friends, is another post altogether.)
I use evaporated cane juice in place of the super white overly processed granulated sugar found in most kitchens today. Evaporated cane juice is a less processed than white granulated sugar. It is still sugar which is why I use it sparingly (read: in treats,) but it does contain trace minerals and is actually a little sweeter than processed sugar - so you can use less!
 
Vanilla Sugar is oh-so-easy to make. 


Pour two cups of evaporated cane juice into a large bowl.


Measure out one tablespoon of amazing vanilla. 

 Stir it up, making sure to get it evenly distributed. 
 Spread evenly in a large cookie sheet. Allow it to dry about six hours. I put my cookie sheet in the oven so it is out of the way. It smells heavenly when it is drying. One way to speed up drying time is to turn on your oven light. Oh it makes the smell waft through the house even more!

 When completely dry, break it up with a metal spatula (plastic is too flimsy and makes a big mess. Ask me how I know.)
 
Now you have two options. You need to break up the sugar so it is granulated again and usable. I run it through my sifter, but you could also use a potato masher or even a glass to break it up. The sifter makes it nice a even though. And I usually have a cute kid around whose favorite kitchen job is to use the sifter.

Store in an airtight container. It is beautiful in a mason jar!

Vanilla Sugar makes a great gift too!
 
Ways to use Vanilla Sugar: 

2 comments:

  1. This looks so neat - I have to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, it is so easy and so yummy! Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...