Monday, February 6, 2012

TOS Review: Celestial Almanack



I have often said to my family that there is no other place on earth where the stars shine as brightly as they do where we live. Our home is situated way out from the city where it is super dark at night - with no street lights! I was amazed at how beautiful the sky was the very first time I came to visit my husband's family (although then we were just friends!) The winter months are even more beautiful - breathtaking actually!

What to Teach When
Celestial Almanack from Classical Astronomy turns anyone into a star-gazer. Even with the full moon  this week we were able to find constellations easily following the information presented in the Celestial Almanack.

One thing I found extremely helpful was the explanation of Leap Year. I had always heard "it has something to do with the lunar calendar." As a child, I accepted that and never cared about why (until I started homeschooling and was asked by my own kids!) I planned to teach a unit on Leap Year later this month, however, we were satisfied with the information we learned through Celestial Almanack.

What's It Gonna Cost Me?
Each volume of Celestial Almanack is very reasonably priced at $3.00! It may be purchased quickly and easily on Currclick.com.

Other Products 
Classical Astronomy.com also has a full astronomy curriculum for homeschoolers, books, a lunar calendar and other items for those studying on or interested in classical astronomy.

We will be purchasing the Eclipse Shades for the upcoming Solar Eclipse in May. I remember making an eye shield when I was in elementary school to protect our eyes from the solar eclipse that happened in 1984. I cannot wait to share this with my kids since we weren't allowed to view it when I was in school.


Check It Out
Previews of the Celestial Almanack are available on the CurrClick page in both flash and PDF formats.

Final Word
We love Celestial Almanack! I plan to purchase each volume as it comes out. It is invaluable for kids (and adults) who know very little about astronomy and the night sky. Celestial Almanack makes nighttime viewing simple and enjoyable!





Legal Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Crew, I received Celestial Almanack, Vol. 2 free of charge from Classical Astronomy for the purpose of review. No other compensation was received.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...